GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER

Pages 28
Views 15
of 28
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Description
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER (140 years ago) October 1 - The Georgetown Law Department of Georgetown University opens for evening classes for 25 male students, one of whom was from Cuba,
Transcript
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER (140 years ago) October 1 - The Georgetown Law Department of Georgetown University opens for evening classes for 25 male students, one of whom was from Cuba, Joseph I. Rodrigues, thus becoming the first Hispanic law student enrolled. Georgetown Law Department founders - Charles W. Hoffman, Charles P. James (H 1870), Judge William Merrick (H 1875), Richard T. Merrick (H 1873), Martin F. Morris (H 1877),, Charles P. James, Georgetown University President Bernard A. Maguire, S.J., and Georgetown University Medical School Professor Dr. Joseph M. Toner (AM 1867, PhD 1889) First Faculty members - Charles P. James (H 1870), Charles W. Hoffman, Supreme Court Justice Samuel Miller (H'1872), U.S. Attorney General J. Hubley Ashton (H 1872), General Thomas Ewing, Jr. (H 1870), Martin F. Morris (H 1877), Georgetown University President Patrick F. Healy, S.J., and Judge George W. Paschal (H 1875) First students enrolled o J. Forbes Beal (L 1872) o Eugene D.F. Brady (C 1870, AM 1872, L 1872) o Nicholas F. Cleary o Theodore E. Davis o Miguel T. Dooley o Benjamin F. Eglin o Charles W. Eldridge o William H. Goddard (L 1872) o B.T. Hanley (L 1873) o Alexander L. Hayes o Edward L. Hayes (L 1872) o Charles H. Ingram o Theodore F. King o Stephen R. Mallory, Jr. o James Knox Moore o Alexander Porter Morse (L 1872) o William F. Quicksall (C 1861, AM 1872, L 1872) o Edward S. Riley (C 1864, AM 1867, L 1872) o Joseph I. Rodrigues o H.M. Russell (C 1869, AM 1871) o George W. Salter (L 1872) o William A. Smart o George N. Sullivan o Francis E. West o Joseph N. Whitney First vice-president - Charles P. James (H 1870) is the first Vice-President of the law school (there is no dean) First building - All lectures are held in rented space at the American Colonization Society Building, at Pennsylvania Avenue and 4 ½ Street N.W., site of the present East Wing of the National Gallery of Art Tuition is $80 per year The first 10 law students graduate from the Law School. Patrick F. Healy, S.J. (C'1850), President of Georgetown University, teaches a course at the Law School on Ethics and Their Relation to Positive Law. George W. Paschal (H'1875) becomes the second Vice-President. Moot Court is established. Dean's Office is established. The first Dean is founder Charles W. Hoffman. Yasimori Asada becomes the first Japanese student to enroll in the Law School. Tuition is lowered to $75 per year. One-year LL.M. program is established. Eight students enroll Tuition is cut again to $ A law library is established. Enrollment surpasses 100 for the first time. The Georgetown Law School moves to its own building at 506 E Street, N.W. Martin F. Morris (H'1877) becomes dean. Georgetown defeats Columbia in widely reported three-round debate. Jeremiah Wilson (H'1883) is appointed dean. Supreme Court Justice Henry Billings Brown publishes Cases on the Law of Admiralty, for the use in connection with his lectures at the law school. Simon R. Walkingstick, a Cherokee, is admitted as a special student. Course work required for the LL.B. expanded from two to three years. 1899 Quizmasters are appointed. George E. Hamilton (C'1872, L'1874, AM'1882, H'1889, H'1822) is appointed dean. Faculty increases to 12 members teaching 20 courses to 276 students. High school diploma or equivalent is required for admission. Chief Justice Harry Clabaugh (H'1903) of the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia is appointed dean. Tuition reaches $100, but is still $50 less than Harvard, Columbia, Chicago and Yale. Law school resigns its membership in the American Association of Law Schools (AALS) Enrollment is 495, up 23% over Fall Pi Alpha Delta, the law school honorary society, is established. Hugh J. Fegan (C'1901, AM'1902, L'1907, PH.D'1916, H'1943) assumes the position of secretarytreasurer. Law School Annex opens, expanding the 506 E. Street building around the corner. Enrollment surpasses the 1,000 mark. Georgetown Law Journal publishes its first issue. George E. Hamilton (C'1872, L'1874, AM'1882, H'1889, H'1822) is again appointed dean Spanish Influenza epidemic closes the school for one month. The War Risk Insurance Board leases part of the law building. Hugh J. Fegan (C'1901, AM'1902, L'1907, PH.D'1916, H'1943) is appointed assistant dean and resident professor. The first Registrar is appointed (Thomas Hurney, L'1911, LL.M'1912). Dennis Chavez (L 1920) receives his LL.B.; he will become the first Latino in the U.S. Senate in The Georgetown Law School celebrates its Golden Jubilee. The Law Library is expanded into the former Auditorium. Joseph Cantrel (L'1922) gives a speech that quotes the Georgetown Law School motto: Law is but a means, -- Justice is the end. A three-year day law program is established. Charles A. Keigwin (H'1937) and Charles Tooke are hired as the first full-time faculty Enrollment reaches 1, The Evening division is extended to four years. 28 law school alumni who died in World War I are honored in Memorial Day Exercises held in the law library. Enrollment is down to 620, lowest in seventeen years. AALS reaccredits the law school. Thomas Bradbury Chetwood, S.J.(H'1928) is appointed the first Regent Fall enrollment drops to The Bellarmine Scholarship is announced. Francis E. Lucey, S.J. (PH.D'1932, L'1941, H'1949) is appointed regent. First course in taxation is offered. The Hoya Law school edition starts publishing. Lyndon B. Johnson (H 1964) enrolls in the law school but leaves before the end of the first semester. The S.J.D. program is established A Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or equivalent is required for admission. Summer school commences. Five alumni are elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. John H. Bankhead (L'1893) of Alabama is in the U.S. Senate. Albert T. Gonzales (L'1939) is the first blind student enrolled at the law school. November: The first issue of Res Ipsa Loquitur is published. A row house is acquired to expand library by means of a second-floor passageway. Father Francis E. Lucey, S.J. (PH.D 1932, L 1941, H 1949) receives his LL.B. magna cum laude and publishes an attack on Justice Holmes and the legal realists. Publication of Res Ipsa Loquitur is briefly suspended Tuition revenues plummet 32%. The War Production Board leases the law school building. Hugh J. Fegan (C'1901, AM'1902, L'1907, PH.D'1916, H'1943) is appointed dean Marie L. Stoll is the first woman appointed registrar The first African-American students are admitted to the law school. They were Winston A. Douglas, Elmer W. Henderson, William D. Martin and Lutrelle F. Parker and??? [fifth one found] The Student Bar Association is established. Georgetown wins the first National Moot Court Competition Women are first admitted to the Georgetown Law School (Fall 1951): o Renee Grosshandler Baum o Helen Marie Chambers o Patricia Anna Collier o Mary Gertrude Henseler o Katherine Rutherford o Agnes Anne Neill Williams o Helen Elsie Steinbinder Res Ipsa Loquitor resumes publication as a school newspaper (rather than an alumni publication) Hortense E. Spinner and Florinell M. Washington (cousins) enroll as the first African American women law students; they did not attend. Agnes Anne Neill Williams (L'1954) is the first winner of the Beaudry Cup Moot Court Competition for first year law students. The American Criminal Law Quarterly is founded by law schools at Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Michigan, Georgetown, Columbia, Harvard and Yale. 1953 Ruth Marshall Paven (L 1953), is the first woman to graduate with an LLB (Bachelor of Laws) degree in June She was a transfer student from Harvard. Renee Grosshandler Baum (L 1953) is first of original 7 women to graduate (October 1953) Paul R. Dean (L'1946, LL.M'1952, H'1969) is appointed dean of the law school and Frank J. Dugan (L'1938, LL.M'1939, H'1979) dean of the graduate school in the newly named Georgetown University Law Center. Ann Schafer (L'1955) becomes the first woman Editor-in-Chief of the Georgetown Law Journal. The Institute for Foreign and International Trade Law is established by Professor Heinrich Kronstein (SJD'1940, H'1967). Air conditioning comes to the Law Center. Rita Carboni from Italy, and Blanche Dodds Kovarik are the first 2 women to enroll in a postgraduate program at the Georgetown Law School. Helen E. Steinbinder, and Katherine Rutherford Keener are the first women in the afternoon (evening) division to receive a J.D., in February Serena E. Davis and Mabel Dole Haden are the first African-American women graduate students. The Institute for International & Foreign Trade Law is established (along with its counterpart in Frankfurt, Germany). Helen E. Steinbinder and Mabel Dole Haden become the first women to receive a Master of Law (LL.M.) degree. Mabel Dole Haden is the first African American woman to receive a Masters of Law (LL.M.) degree. Yvonne Cravens is the first female student to win as part of the National Moot Court Team Helen Steinbinder (L'1955, LL.M. '1956) is the first woman appointed to the faculty. Marbeth Miller L'56 is the first woman selected to participate in Attorney General's Honor Graduate Program. William H. Powell, S.J. (C'1929) is appointed the first chaplain at the Law Center. The Legal Aid Society is formed. The Institute of Nuclear Energy and Outer Space Law is established. The first E. Barrett Prettyman Fellows enroll. The Law Students' Wives Society is founded (also called Student Wives' Club). 1961 Brian A. McGrath, S.J. (MA'1940, H'1975) succeeds Father Lucey as regent. A. Kenneth Pye (L'1954, LL.M'1955, H'1978) and Richard Alan Gordon (C'1950, L'1953, LL.M'1961) are appointed associate and assistant deans. Enrollment includes 28 women, 969 men The Barristers' Council is established. Normalie Johnson, L 1962, is the first African-American female graduate. Norma Holloway Johnson is first African-American woman to receive a J.D. (February 1962). Barbara A. Ringer is the first woman Adjunct professor. Mary Jean Gallagher and Grace Ann Powers Monaco are the first two women appointed to the newly formed Barristers Council. Edna A. Hopkins and Barbara A. Walker are the first African-American women members of the sorority Kappa Beta Pi. Dee Angel is the first woman delegate elected to the Student Bar Association (SBA) Blind grading of exams commences. The James Brown Scott Society of International Law is founded. Tuition tops $1,000. Grace Ann Powers Monaco and Marilyn Sue Talcott are the first GULC woman students inducted in the National Jesuit Women's Honor Society, Gamma Pi Epsilon. Barbara Ward is the first woman to receive an Honorary degree from GULC The D.C. Bail Project is established at the Law Center. The Institutes for Criminal Law and Procedure and for Law, Human Rights and Procedure are established. The student newspaper Georgetown Law Weekly starts publication. Pamela Kasa is the first woman running for SBA President. Farewell to the LL.B.: the Law Center begins awarding the J.D. Elective courses are offered to second, third and fourth year students. Students, faculty and staff assist local courts in the civil disturbances following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Less than a month later, ground is broken for McDonough Hall on New Jersey Ave., N.W. Students join faculty committees for the first time, including the dean search committee. The Law Students in Court is founded. Female enrollment at the Law Center exceeds 10% for the first time. [Women are admitted to Georgetown College] The Black Law Student Association, Law Center Chapter is founded. Adrian Fisher (H'1977) is appointed dean. The first issue of Law and Policy in International Business is published. Sandra Rothenberg is the first female Prettyman Fellow. Jo Gramling is the first woman Editor-in-Chief of the Georgetown Law Weekly. The Law Center postpones final exams in the aftermath of the Kent State shootings. The La Raza National Law Student Association and Women's Rights Collective are formed. Sylvia Bacon and Norma Holloway Johnson are the first women GULC graduates to be appointed judges of the Superior Court for the District of Columbia; Johnson is the first African-American woman appointed. Adjunct Professor Barbara A. Bowman teaches the first Women & the Law course at GULC. McDonough Hall is formally dedicated with Supreme Court Justice Burger speaking. There is a counter-dedication outside the Law Center. Barbara D. Underwood (L'1969) is the first female Georgetown Law graduate appointed clerk to a Supreme Court Justice, Justice Thurgood Marshall. Florence Madden (L'1973) is the first female law student to be a finalist in the Leahy Cup Competition The first women s group, Women's Rights Collective (WRC) forms at the Georgetown University Law Center The Institute for Public Representation (IPR) is started. The first issue of the American Criminal Law Review, with Georgetown Law student editors, is published (formerly the American Criminal Law Quarterly). The Tax Lawyer begins publication at Georgetown. Professor Addison Bowman founds the Criminal Justice Clinic, with students representing criminal defendants in D.C. and Maryland. The Criminal Justice and Appellate Litigation clinics are founded. Anita Martin is the first woman African-American Associate Professor. Jason Newman (L 65) starts the Street Law Clinic. The Georgetown Gilbert and Sullivan Society is founded, the first and only law school theater group in the country. The Juvenile Justice Clinic is established, with Professor Wallace Mlyniec as director. Nancy Glassman (L'1975) is the first female student to be named Best Advocate in the Leahy Cup Moot court competition. 1974 A four-year Joint Degree program is started with the Georgetown School of Foreign Service for the JD/MSFS. The Street Law High School and Corrections clinics are established. The Administrative Advocacy Clinic is founded (later CALS) Tuition reaches $3,000. Three-campus budgeting begins. David J. McCarthy, Jr. (L'1960, LL.M'1962, H'1983) is appointed dean and the first Executive Vice- President for Law Center Affairs of the University. Sister Mary Himens is GULC's first woman chaplain Julianna Zekan is the first woman SBA president is elected. GG&SS Productions: Trial by Jury The Asian Pacific American Law Students is founded. Lexis terminals are installed in the law library. Res Ipsa Loquitur changes its format, returning to an alumni magazine format (rather than a newspaper or journal of public interest). The Mary and Daniel Loughran Institute of Land Use and Development completes its work. The Public Interest Law Project is formed to assist the Placement Office in collecting information on public-interest positions and sponsoring a program on that topic. Along with the University President and the Law Center, a group of students institute the Centro de Inmigracion, a project designed to analyze and inform concerning developments in immigration law and related governmental policies GG&SS Productions: HMS Pinafore Honorary Degrees: Howard Boyd, Joseph Danzansky, Hon. William O. Douglas, Adrian Fisher, Fr. Theodore Hesburgh, Coretta Scott King John Carroll Award: Frank J. Dugan, Hon. Paul E. Feiring, John E. Rooney November 7: the David G. Bress Promenade is dedicated The Equal Justice Foundation (EJF) Chapter is established at Georgetown. Patricia King becomes the first African-American woman law professor at GULC awarded tenure. GG&SS Productions: The Mikado, Trial by Jury The Anne Blaine Harrison Institute for Public Law in established with an award of $150,000 by the new World Foundation to Rev. Timothy S. Healy, S.J. The former D.C. Project: Community Legal Assistance is incorporated into the Anne Blaine Harrison Institute for Public Law. The Asian American Law Students Association is formed. La Raza changes its name to La Alianza de Derecho. Honorary Degrees: Kurt H. Biedenkopf, Daniel J. Boorstien, Joan Ganz Cooney, Patrick Hayes, A. Kenneth Pye, Hon. Elbert P. Tuttle, Rev. John Thomas Walker, Roy Wilkins Commencement address is given by Kenneth Pye, Chancellor of Duke University. John Carroll Awards: Hon. John B. McManus, Jr. Patrick Healy Award: Professor Samuel Dash Justice Harry A. Blackmun delivers the first annual Thomas A. Ryan Memorial lecture. The Georgetown Jewish Law Students Association is formed. GG&SS Productions: Ruddigore, Trial by Jury Honorary Degrees: Richard R. Baxter, William J. Brennan, Jr., John A. Danaher, Frank J. Dugan, Walter E. Fauntroy, Jesse L. Jackson, Walter H. E. Jaeger, Sol Myron Linowitz, Esther Peterson Walter Fauntroy is the commencement speaker. The Law Center purchases most of the block adjacent to the Law Center, bounded by G Street, Second Street, Massachusetts Avenue, and New Jersey Avenue. Judge Charles Fahy is awarded the President s Medal by University President Timothy S. Healy, S.J. October 16: The Barnabas F. Sears Library for Clinical Education is dedicated. October 6: Mstislav Rostropovich, director of the National Symphony Orchestra, is awarded an honorary degree John Carroll Awards: Paul J. McQuillan, Raymond D. O Brien, and Thomas A. Clarke The Law Center, Law Alumni Association,, in cooperation with the Department of Continuing Legal Education, inaugurate a series of law luncheons. The Georgetown Law student body is now 36% female, with 977 women and 1,717 men enrolled. The first issue of the Georgetown Immigration Law Reporter is published. Mary F. Edgar is the first woman editor of the Law and Policy in International Business Journal. The Employment Discrimination Clinic is established as a sub-division of the Law Center s Administrative Advocacy Clinic. The Stuart Stiller Memorial Foundation helps create a new fellowship, the Stuart Stiller Fellow, in the GULC E. Barrett Prettyman Fellowship Program. Law Center team wins the world Jessup Cup Competition, the largest moot court competition in the world. GG&SS Productions: The Pirates of Penzance (with participation of alumni) Honorary Degrees: Roger N. Baldwin, Hon. David L. Bazelon, John L. Loeb, Jr., Hon. Wade Hampton McCree, Jr., Soia Mentschikoff, Arturo Guillermo Ortega, Millard Ruud, Hon. Potter Stewart Hon. David Bazelon gave the commencement speech. John Carroll Awards: Sherman L. Cohn, Leonard R. Raish The Sex Discrimination Clinic established as a separate clinic. Female enrollment at the Law Center exceeds 1,000 students for the first time, but accounts for only 37.2% of total enrollment. Patricia A. Dean (L'1981) is named Deputy Clerk of the United States Supreme Court, the first woman to serve in that position. Regina M. Pisa is the first woman editor of the Tax Lawyer. A Seminar on Women's Legal History is offered for the first time. The Center for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) is launched by Philip Schrag to manage cases including Social Security administrative hearings and consumer protection litigation on behalf of low-income consumers. (GL, Fall/Winter 2009, p39) John Wolff is awarded the Vicennial Medal recognizing his first 20 years of service. Commencement address is given by Hon. Donald F. McHenry, former US Ambassador to the UN. Honorary Degrees: Hon. Haim Cohn, Elizabeth Drew, Hon. Daniel L. Herrman, Hon Donald F. McHenry, William Pincus, Hon. Simone Veil, Hon. James Skelly Wright; James A. Michener was award Doctor of Humane Letters The Administrative Advocacy Clinic becomes the Center for Applied Legal Studies. Honorary Degrees: Lisle C. Carter, Jr., Hon. Ronald Davies, H.L.A. Hart, Charles Horsky, Hon Amalya Kearse, Jiro Murase, Adolfo Perez Esquivel, Isaac Bashevis Singer The Commencement address is given by Lisle C. Carter, Jr., president of the University of the District of Columbia. John Carroll Award: Rev. Royden B. Davis, Joseph E. McGuire Judith C. Areen is appointed the first woman Associate Dean. Clinical instructors gain faculty status and eligibility for long-term contracts. Robert Pitofsky is appointed Executive Vice-President and dean. Small sections are established in the first
Advertisements
Related Documents
View more...
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks